Saturday, February 8, 2014

Sewing with Certainty Series (and a little Soviet Culture)

Jess at Quilty Habit (here) has run a series that startied in the new year called Sewing with Certainty. While I think it is primarily directed at newer sewers and quilters there is much to be gained by reading her blog posts. In her final post of the series she asked readers to contribute their thoughts on blogging. In particular she asked about starting and/or managing and/or writing a sewing blog. what is our favourite part about blogging and how does blogging affect your quilting.
As it happens this week I did an online workshop about starting a blog. I was the very first to admit I am not a proficient blogger and there are many things I should do but don't so another almost classical case of do as I say not do as I do. 
I set up this blog to record my quilting finishes and to maybe on rare occasions make comments about general topics. I do not have very advanced camera skills and would not even begin to think about do a tutorial. I am happy to describe in words what I have done or if the pattern is something I have written up to send a copy to someone. My favourite part about blogging has to be reading other peoples blogs to see what they are doing. I also love to look at the pictures. So I suspect that visitors to my blog would like to see the same things here. To answer the question how does blogging affect my quilting. Probably in two ways. I am exposed to so many new ideas while visiting other blogs and I want to try them all. Just kidding, I don't have that much time left to quilt. And  it makes me want to put up pictures of better work. 
As to the picture with this post. It is a velvet table cloth we bought in the Soviet Union, when it was still the Soviet Union. We took our kids on a three week tour there almost 30 years ago. We visited Sochi, home of this year's Olympics. This lovely table cloth was one of the sovenirs we brought home. Piecefully, Joanne

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. Your post makes me think about why I blog about my quilting. I started it because my sisters from away were always asking what I was doing, but then it became a public forum for great feedback and recording my work. Makes me want to make better quilts. Plus I love seeing what others are doing. This is a great post you've put up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that a gorgeous piece! My camera skills stink too - I balme it on the new camera as I did so much better with the other. I started blogging to record my quilting (love that you can have your year's post put into book format), but have learned to share tutorials, while browing and visiting have found resources to share. So many QALs and SALs - that I use to feel I had to do them all - now I pick and chose, but always share any I find along the way. And finding all the fabric companies blogs and web sites has led me into making and competing in challenges and contests - improving my quilting skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting! I love the quilt too, btw - it is just gorgeous. It's fun to really analyze why we blog, isn't it? It can be pretty time-consuming and overwhelming but it sounds like you find it all worth it!

    ReplyDelete